Sunday, September 18, 2022

Homemade Protein Bars

MDS loves Quest-brand Cookie Dough Protein Bars. We always have a good supply at home, and they are great for an on-the-go snack. And they taste best when they are microwaved just a bit. Because the bars seem so simple, I thought I might try to re-create the bars at home. After some internet research, I put together this basic recipe that uses ingredients that are readily available 

These bars taste delicious, but I may need to work on the proportions of the ingredient to get a bar that sets firmer. When I made this batch, I used 1 1/4 cup oat flour, but I will try 1 1/2 to 2 cups oat flour next time.  Oat flour is simple to make--just blend rolled oats in a food processor until it becomes a fine flour. You can vary the nut butter or try chocolate protein powder. I plan to try adding instant coffee powder for a caffeinated bar. These bars should be stored in the refrigerator and will last several weeks stored in a sealed container.

Homemade Protein Bars 

  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups oat flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips. Blend until smooth and well-mixed. Fold in chocolate chips. Press into pan. Refrigerate at least one hour. Cut into bars. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment