Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sunny Pizza Snacks


When I found this among Grandma's recipes, I did not recall it, but with the use of hard-boiled eggs, I am not surprised to find it. As I've mentioned before, many of our family's Italian-American recipes include the use of hard-boiled eggs. I loved seeing my Grandma's handwriting on this recipe card. It reminded me of the letters that she used to write to me when I was in college.

This recipe is very easy. Grandma's recipe states that it makes 8 snacks or 4 main dishes. But, it can be scaled up or down with ease. In some ways, it is an Italian variation on the Egg McMuffin. But, I like that this recipe uses the broiler to melt and brown the cheese, rather than the microwave. MDS was skeptical, but he liked these sunny pizza snacks. Pizza sauce is simply tomato sauce with a few herbs and spices, such as garlic, oregano and basil, added in.

Sunny Pizza Snacks 
  • 4 English muffins, split
  • 8 oz. pizza sauce
  • 8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Place the muffin halves on a baking sheet. Spread each with one tablespoon pizza sauce. Arrange the sliced eggs on each half muffin. Spread each with one tablespoon of pizza sauce. Sprinkle each muffin with mozzarella cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler, about six inches away, until cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment