Monday, June 13, 2016

Pasta with Broccoli

Mom's recipe box is filled with recipes that I do not specifically recall, but that sound good. This recipe is one example. When we were kids, we often resisted eating vegetables. Mom would try to find different ways to make vegetables that we would eat. If I did not like it when I was I kid, I was a silly kid. It is an excellent side dish. It could also be turned into a main dish by adding some protein, like beans or chicken.

When I made this dish, I mostly followed the recipe. However, I used elbow macaroni instead of cavatelli pasta, which is a small shell shape. You could use just about any type of pasta. I did not have any crushed red pepper, so I just used more black pepper. I also used more garlic than the recipes calls for, but I really like garlic. This recipe is easy to make and tolerates modifications. The next time that I make it, I will double the amount of broccoli. I modified Mom's recipe by sauteing the broccoli in the oil and garlic, rather than separately cooking it.

Pasta with Broccoli 
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 6 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • crushed red pepper to taste
  • 1/2 pound pasta, cooked
  • 1 pound broccoli
Cut the broccoli to bite sized pieces. Brown the garlic in olive oil in a large skillet. Add the pepper and broccoli and cook until tender. Add the pasta and cook until the flavors blend, stirring frequently. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment