Sunday, July 3, 2016

Curry Barley Salad

This recipe is one of my own. I came across a dish like this salad in the basement cafeteria at Macy's on State Street in Chicago (formerly known as Marshall Fields). This cafeteria has been serving lunch for years to many downtown workers and tourists alike. It is a bit of a hidden gem in the Loop. One day, I was getting lunch with some co-workers and I came across this salad from the many options at the salad bar. I loved it and decided that I had to recreate it. I first made it for an Easter celebration a few years back, and I have made it several times since then.

The nice thing about this recipe is that the amount of the various ingredients you use is very flexible. MDS does not like cheese, so I always set aside some with the feta for him. When I made this batch, I had forgotten to add the raisins. I was able to add them into the leftovers, but I love the raisins, so don't make the same mistake that I did. I highly recommend making this dish a day in advance and allowing it to chill in the refrigerator so the flavors can blend. I get the barley and the curry sauce  from Trader Joe's and they come in the approximate sizes noted below. You could also make your own curry sauce, using plain greek yogurt and curry powder or some other variation. Because it is a salad, there is no need to worry about precise measurements, just add to taste.

Curry Barley Salad 
  • 1 cup barley, uncooked 
  • 11 ounces curry sauce
  • 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 pound broccoli, chopped
  • 6 ounces feta cheese
  • 1 cup raisins
  • Ground black pepper, to taste
Cook the barley based on the package directions. After draining excess water from the barley, add in the curry sauce, garbanzo beans, red onion, broccoli, feta cheese, raisins and pepper. Stir until the ingredients are mixed well. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment