Sunday, March 1, 2015

Quiche Lorraine

When I found this recipe in Mom's recipe box, I knew I had to give it a try. As I have already said, I love custard and quiche is just a savory custard. I vaguely recall Mom making quiches. I don't recall if she made this particular quiche, but I think quiches became popular when I was young, so if she did not make this particular recipe, she made one like it. Mom likely found this recipe in a newspaper, magazine or cookbook.

The essentials of a quiche include pie crust and egg custard with some additional ingredients. The basic quiche is a flexible base into which many ingredients can be mixed. Quiche Lorraine is named after the Lorraine region of France and traditionally had onion, bacon and swiss cheese. When I made this quiche, I kept to the traditional ingredients. The result was delicious.

Quiche Lorraine 
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 9-inch pastry
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups grated swiss cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Cook bacon until crisp, then drain on paper towel and crumble. Saute onion. Sprinkle bacon and onion into a pastry lined pie pan. 

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese and seasonings. Pour over the bacon and onion into the pie pan. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to set for about 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment