Thursday, February 12, 2015

Baked Custard

I love custard. From frozen custard to custard pie to creme brulee, if it has custard, I know I will love it. What makes custard so special? Is it the eggs, milk, sugar? Or is it the mixture of those things? I don't know what it is about custard that is so delicious. This recipe makes an excellent custard that can be enjoyed either warm or chilled.

Mom used to make this simple baked custard when we were young. Traditionally and per Mom's recipe, the custard should be made in a double boiler, meaning that the custard dish should be placed within another dish filled with water. When I talked to Mom about this recipe, Mom said that she never used the double boil method, but simply placed the custard dish in the oven. When I made this recipe, I followed Mom's shortcut method and found that it worked fine. Like Mom, I always prefer to simplify recipes. Scalded milk is simply milk that is heated to a temperature close to boiling, but not boiling. This time, I used almond extract for flavoring, but I am sure that the lemon extract would be nice. Mom's recipe calls for one dish, but you could also use small individual serving dishes.

Baked Custard 
  • 4 eggs beaten lightly
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 3/4 cup milk, scalded
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. almond or lemon extract
  • nutmeg for dusting
Blend eggs, sugar and salt together in a small mixing bowl. Slowly stir in milk. Add flavoring. Pour into a 1.5 quart casserole. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 325 (in a large baking pan of hot water) for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment