Saturday, May 17, 2014

Honey Oatmeal Bread

Mom regularly made bread when I was a kid. While her French Bread was the standard bread, she would occasionally try other breads. Her recipe box is filled with recipes for delicious breads. I remember some, but others I don't remember. Nevertheless, I am lucky to be able to try out all these recipes.

This honey oatmeal bread is excellent. Like all yeast breads, I find it helpful to use a thermometer to make sure the water used with the yeast is about 120 degrees. Mom never used a thermometer, and I have no idea how she got the temperature right. I don't know how she does it. This recipe calls for the bread to be topped with poppy seeds. While I love poppy seeds, they are now all over my kitchen. So next time I make this bread, I might just use some oats on the top instead of poppy seeds.

Honey Oatmeal Bread
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup dry rolled oats
  • 2 packets yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoon melted butter
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 egg yolk beaten
  • 1/4 cup poppy seeds
Pour boiling water over rolled oats and let stand for half an hour. Soak yeast for 5 minutes in 1/3 cup lukewarm (120 degree) water. Add salt, honey and melted butter to the oats; stir in yeast. Gradually add enough flour to make dough kneadable. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary until dough is smooth and elastic. Put in a big bowl, oil its surface and cover with a towel. Set in a warm place to rise. When dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough; divide in 2. Shape into two loaves and put in an 8x4 pan. Let dough rise until it reaches the top of the pan. Coat tops with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment