Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Grandma's Anise Cookies

Going through Grandma's recipes, I came across this one called Anise Squares. Neither Mom nor I remember Grandma making these, but anise is a very traditional Italian flavor, and anise cookies can be found at Italian bakeries. Anise seeds have a licorice-like flavor. I had to try these cookies.

Grandma's recipe calls these squares, but mine did not come out quite as square, so I will just call them cookies. The recipe is easy but the dough requires refrigeration. The recipe called for ground anise seed, but I substituted anise extract and whole anise seed. The cookies are tasty treats, especially with a cup of coffee. I must admit that I had one or two at breakfast with my coffee.

Anise Cookies 
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon anise seed
  • 1 teaspoon anise extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups flour
Cream butter  in a large mixing bowl and gradually add sugar stirring constantly until smooth. Add egg and blend well. Mix in anise seed and extract, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add in the flour and blend vigorously. When dough is smooth, divide into 3 or 4 sections. Shape each section into a log roll about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap each roll in wax paper. Place the rolls in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Cut the log rolls into thin slices. Arrange the slices on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment