Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hello Dolly Cake

Hello Dolly Cake (aka Magic Cookie Bars or Seven Layer Bars) is a seriously delicious dessert. This recipe is not so much a cake as it is a cookie bar. It is super easy to make and even easier to eat. Now, the recipe traditionally calls for a cup of coconut, but I left it out. I used almonds, but any other nuts could be used. Also, some folks add in butterscotch chips.

"Hello, Dolly!" is one of Mom's favorite musicals. When I saw this recipe in her box, I only vaguely remembered enjoying these delicious cookie bars. But I have great memories of watching the Barbra Streisand "Hello Dolly" movie and Mom singing the songs. Which brings me to the name of this recipe. Apparently, it was published by Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk and made an appearance in a newspaper around the time that the musical first appeared on Broadway in 1965. Somehow, the Hello Dolly name got attached to this recipe. I am glad that it did because it caught my eye and now, I can share it with you.

Hello Dolly Cake 
  • 1/4 pound butter
  • 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • 1 can (15 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
Melt the butter in a 9x9 pan. Sprinkle in the crumbs, then the chocolate chips and nuts. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over all. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Allow to thoroughly cool before cutting. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment