Thursday, January 23, 2014

Grilled Polenta

Like creamy polenta, grilled polenta can be served with sweet or savory toppings. Sweet toppings could include maple syrup, whipped cream or sweet cheeses. Savory toppings could be anything from sauteed vegetables to meat sauces. I especially liked the poletna topped with mascarpone cheese and honey. For a savory topping taste test, I sauteed some finely chopped onions with some pesto, pancetta and tomato. The pancetta topping was delicious.

In preparing this post, I tried making grilled polenta two ways. First, I used leftover creamy polenta that had cooled and formed into the shape of a bowl, that I then sliced and grilled. Also, I used store bought polenta, that just had to be sliced and grilled. I had trouble with my leftover polenta not keeping its shape as it was grilled, so I suspect that I should have cooked it for a few more minutes to cook out a little more water. For this post, I used the pan-searing method, but an actual grill could be used. The outside of the grilled polenta will be crispy, while the inside will remain creamy.

Grilled Polenta 

  • Cooled leftover Creamy Polenta
  • 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
Add the olive oil or butter to a skillet pan and put over medium heat. Slice the polenta into quarter or half inch thick slices. Place the polenta on the heated skillet and cook each side until done, about 5 to 10 minutes per side. Top the grilled polenta with you favorite topping. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment