Monday, August 27, 2012

Fried Bologna Sandwiches

Yes, you read that title correctly. Mom occasionally made these simple sandwiches for dinner. Really, there is no need for a recipe. Simply fry up some bologna in a frying pan and serve on bread. In my memory, Mom always made the sandwiches with basic white sandwich bread. I remember putting a slice of processed American cheese and mayo on my sandwich. I used thin sliced bologna for these sandwiches, but I seem to recall the bologna being thicker in my childhood than what I found in the grocery store this week. I used classic beef bologna, but I saw turkey, pork and chicken bologna at the store. You could use any type of bread, toasted or untoasted. Of course, there are many potential condiments--consider mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles or even barbecue sauce. You could even make these sandwiches super fancy by adding lettuce and tomato. There is nothing to stop you from turning a simple bologna sandwich into a masterpiece.

These sandwiches are good even for picky eaters, like MDS, who like the sandwich in spite of himself. He was skeptical, but, ultimately admitted that he enjoyed his sandwich, which he had on toasted bread with mustard. In fact, MDS observed that the sandwich would be better with even more bologna on it. So, next time I make these sandwiches, I will make them with extra bologna.

Fried Bologna Sandwiches

  • Bologna (3-5 slices per sandwich)
  • sliced bread
  • cheese
  • condiments
Spray a frying pan with cooking spray. Heat pan with medium heat. Place a layer of bologna in the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or longer, if you prefer. 

Place the fried bologna on bread, add condiments or other toppings. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make fried bologna as well, yum! Brings back memories :)

    ReplyDelete