Monday, July 1, 2024

Baked Eggs, Mexican style

With my first bell peppers from the garden, I decided to make this recipe. It was a surprising household hit, so it might make it into the regular rotation. At MDS's suggestion, I may try to add sausage to the bread and vegetable mix. This recipe gives these baked eggs a Mexican flavor, but adjustments could be made to create other flavors

I did not have six-ounce baking dishes, so I used a muffin pan. I did learn that large eggs might be a bit too large for muffin tins, so next time, I will make more of the vegetable and bread mix and make some additional baked eggs using the extra egg whites. When I made this recipe, after adding the eggs, I did not have room to add tomato juice, so I used powdered tomato bouillon instead. Also, instead of cheddar cheese, I used cotija cheese, which is something like a Mexican Parmesan cheese. And because this recipe is a bit of work, I might make more and store some for later. I did not try to freeze any from this batch, but I bet they will freeze well.

Baked Eggs, Mexican Style 

  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 9 slices white bread, cubed
  • 6 extra large eggs
  • 6 tablespoons tomato juice
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese
Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in seasonings; simmer for five minutes. Stir in bread cubes. Spoon into 6 buttered six-ounce baking dishes, pressing firmly on bottoms and sides. Break egg into center of each. Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato juice over each egg; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until egg is set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment