Sunday, June 9, 2024

Grilled Pineapple

Mom recently went to a fundraiser for Haymarket Center. She brought home the menu because she thought I might like a bunch of the dishes served. She was right. One interesting item was the salad with grilled pineapple. I had not thought about grilling pineapple before, so I had to give it a try. I used canned pineapple for its convenience. Fresh pineapple could easily be used as well. I thought that using slices was easier to flip than using chunks, but chunks would grill up just fine. This salad was a great use of the grilled pineapple. I also think grilled pineapple could be used as a dessert when served with ice cream or cake.

Grilling pineapple is quite easy. I used my grill pan on the stovetop. You could also use an outdoor grill. The salad from Mom's menu called for some fancy items, like Boston Bibb, Radicchio, Arugula, Frisse, shaved almonds, Peruvian peppers, tomato garnish, Gouda cheese, and red wine vinaigrette. I was able to recreate the salad. I did have to use regular sweet pepper. I also could not find frisse, which is a type of endive. But otherwise, the salad was delicious.  

Grilled Pineapple 

  • 1 can pineapple sliced, drained
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • olive oil or butter for grill pan
Place the pineapple slices in a ziplock bag. Mix the lime juice and brown sugar together; pour into the ziplock bag. Allow the pineapple to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Heat a grill pan greased with olive oil or butter. Place the slices on the pan and grill for three to five minutes per side. Serve on a salad. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment