Monday, June 6, 2022

Swedish Meatballs

These meatballs make a terrific meal. In the summertime, I like to look for recipes that do not use the oven. This recipe fits the bill and results in a delicious meal made on the stovetop. The ingredients are easy enough to find. The flavor is terrific, and the meatballs could be eaten on their own or with noodles, rice, or bread.

When I made this recipe, I substituted three-quarter cup of breadcrumbs for the slices of bread, and then increased the milk by another splash. I also added more than a dash of nutmeg because I especially like the flavor. I served these meatballs with noodles.

Swedish Meatballs 

  • 3 slices bread, crumbled
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • dash ground nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 (7/8 oz.) packet brown gravy mix
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
Add bread to milk. Mix in next five ingredients. Shape into one-inch balls. Chill. Brown meatballs in oil in a large skillet. Prepare gravy according to directions, using 1 1/4 cup water. Blend in mayonnaise. Add to meatballs and heat. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment