Friday, June 10, 2022

Sugared Chocolate Wafers

These cookies are so delicious that I might have eaten them all in one sitting if I had not given some to neighbors. The cookies have a rich chocolate flavor that complements the crisp texture. The recipe calls for placing a walnut in the center of each cookie, but I left that step out. I am sure that the walnuts would have been nice, I just did not have any whole walnuts on hand.

Following the directions, I chilled the dough, but I think they would have come out fine even if the dough was not chilled. I tried using a cookie scooper, but I found that the cookies were not quite round enough, so I shaped the dough by hand into round balls. I did not flatten the cookies as much as the directions stated because I like the thicker cookie. 

Sugared Chocolate Wafers 

  • 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup firm brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • granulated sugar
  • walnuts (optional)
Melt chocolate over hot, not boiling water, cool. Sift floor, powder, soda, and salt onto wax paper. Beat butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and cooked chocolate in a large bowl with electric mix until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour mix. Chill for two hours. Form dough into walnut-size balls. Arrange on ungreased sheets about one-inch apart. Dip glass tumbler in glass and flatten each cookie into a two-inch round. Press walnut into each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment