Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Swedish Meatballs with California Dip

When I read this recipe, I did not specifically recall Mom making it, but it tasted so familiar. Recipes like this one were common when I was a kid because they use staple ingredients like ground beef and sour cream and are easy to make. I especially like the flavor of the nutmeg and allspice. Every time I use those spices, I always think that I should use them more often because they add a distinct, almost sweet, flavor.

Frozen prepared meatballs are easy to find in most grocery stores, but making meatballs allows for you to customize the flavor and adjust the size of the meatballs. I am not sure why mixing sour cream with a package of onion soup mix is known as California dip, but I would guess that it originated with Lipton Soup mix. These meatballs are a tasty dish that is relatively easy to make, to give it a try. 

Swedish Meatballs with California Dip 

  • 2 cups California Dip (1 pint sour cream mixed with 1 envelope onion soup mix)
  • 1 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup water
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup California dip with meat, bread crumbs, egg, nutmeg, and allspice. Shape into one inch balls. Roll in flour. In a large skillet, melt butter and brown meatballs. Stir in remaining dip and water. Heat through for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment