Sunday, February 9, 2020

Three-egg cake

I remember having homemade cakes as a child. I especially loved homemade chocolate cake, but generally I enjoy any cake. In looking through Mom's recipe box I found this recipe for a three-egg cake. Why three-egg? Based on some internet research, it appears that a recipe by this name was published by a baking soda company and seems to have spread. Whatever the source of the name, the resulting cake is a classic vanilla cake that is strong enough to support just about any type of frosting. In fact the recipe calls for making a layer cake, which works best with a sturdy cake.

When I made this cake, I decided to make cupcakes because I was bringing them to Mom's for a standard Saturday dinner with most of my nieces and nephews. Because this is a basic yellow cake, many flavors of frosting would work. I made strawberry cream cheese frosting, which was a hit with just about everyone. But I did bring a few unfrosted cupcakes because a certain nephew claims to not like frosting, as hard as that is to understand. Frosted or not, this cake recipe is classic and delicious.

Three-egg Cake 
  • 2 1/3 cup four
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt until well-mixed; set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs until fluffy. Stir in flour mix alternating with milk until well-blended. Stir in vanilla. Turn batter into greased pans. Bake at 350 for the recommended time for the pan size. Allow to cool before frosting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment