Monday, December 3, 2018

Gingersnaps

When December rolls around, it is time for Christmas cookies. Mom has an entire separate recipe box filled with just cookie recipes. Mom's gingersnaps recipe caught my eye this year. When I was a kid, I did not like gingersnaps. I was not used to molasses, so maybe that is the flavor that was hard to like. Or maybe it was the ginger that was too much for me. But now that I am an adult, I love all the flavors found in gingersnaps.

Gingersnaps are an old-fashioned cookie, but are so easy to make. And, they come out so perfectly that others will ask you if they are purchased from a store. The dough does need to chill, so it is best to make the dough the day before and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight. Mom's recipe calls for cloves, but since I did not have any, I simply left it out of the recipe.

Gingersnaps 
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup molasses
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • sugar for coating the cookies
Blend together all the ingredients except the sugar for coating. Chill the dough overnight. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Place on a cookie sheet about two inches apart. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment