Sunday, November 11, 2018

Pineapple Casserole

My niece-in-law, Christen, makes this delicious casserole for family parties. Because she and Rich host the entire family for Thanksgiving, I have come to think of this dish as a new classic Thanksgiving dish. The picture below is the recipe as it appears in Christen's recipe book. This year, instead of hoping that there will be leftover Pineapple Casserole to take home, I just made it myself.

I don't know what it is about casseroles, but I just love them. Maybe it is the seemingly incongruous ingredients all thrown together into a pan that usually results in a delicious dish. Maybe it is because casseroles are so easy to make. Whatever the reason, I usually love casseroles. This Pineapple Casserole in no exception. It is sweet and salty, crunchy and creamy all at the same time. It is almost a dessert. Because it is so easy to make, give this casserole a try. Next time I make this casserole, I might even add some nuts, such as macadamia nuts, to the topping.

Pineapple Casserole 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 20 ounce cans chunk pineapple
  • 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
  • 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) melted butter
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a casserole dish. In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and sugar together. Blend in the shredded cheese.  Reserve the juice from the canned pineapple; blend the pineapple with the cheese mixture. Pour the contents into the dish. 

Combine the Ritz cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 6 tablespoons of pineapple juice. Spread on top of the casserole. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment