Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Grandma's Tuna Mac & Cheese

I found this recipe in Grandma's handwriting on an index card. She titled it Charlie's Tuna Mac & Cheese. I assume she copied it from a Starkist tuna can or ad. But, this is just the type of easy casserole type meal that I am not surprised to find among Grandma's recipe. I especially liked the Italian seasoning and garlic powder in the recipe, which dressed up a fairly standard casserole with delicious flavor.

When I made this recipe, I used two no drain packets of tuna instead of canned tuna needing to be drained. I used the very basic boxed mac and cheese, but there are now many variations of mac & cheese, including different noodles and different cheese options. I stuck to the basic here.

Grandma's Tuna Mac & Cheese 
  • 1 box macaroni and cheese dinner
  • 1 (12 1/2 oz) can tuna, drained
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare macaroni according to the package. Mix in the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart microwaveable service dish. Microwave on high for two minutes. Stir casserole and continue heating for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment