Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Grandma Holmes's Hamburger Casserole

I found this recipe among Grandma Holmes's recipes, and it reads like so many casseroles that were popular back in the day: can of cream soup, meat, and noodles. MDS does not remember his Grandma making this casserole, but thinks that his Mom made something similar.

The good thing about a casserole such is this one is that you can easily make modifications. This time, I made modifications both for my preferred tastes and to use up some ingredients that I had around my kitchen. I used cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom or chicken. I also added in some extra celery instead of peas, which I highly recommend. I left off the grated cheese. But, I think cheddar would be especially delicious with this recipe. Finally, I used egg noodles, instead of Chinese noodles as listed in the recipe only because I had egg noodles available. Despite all my adjustments, this casserole came out great.

Grandma Holmes's Hamburger Casserole 
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1-2 cups noodles
  • grated cheese
Cook the noodles according to directions. Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until onion begins to brown. Mix together the noodles, beef, soup, and peas. Pour into a casserole dish. Top with grated cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Allow to cool slightly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment