Sunday, March 4, 2018

Ripe Olive Cheese Skillet Bread

Bread was (and still is) an important part of my meals. Mom loves bread and often looked to try different recipes while still relying on the old standards like French Bread. I suspect Mom found this recipe and had to give it a try because she loves olives. This recipe is an easy quick bread that is so delicious, it is hard to stop eating it. Because it is a quick bread, you can enjoy freshly baked bread without the time commitment for yeast bread.

When I made this bread, I used a round casserole dish instead of a skillet. Instead of following the exact recipe, I used a sour cream muffin recipe as the base for this bread only because I did not have instant mashed potatoes on hand. I used mozzarella cheese instead of monterey jack cheese because that is what I had on hand. I also think sharp cheddar cheese would be excellent.

Ripe Olive Cheese Skillet Bread 
  • 1 can pitted ripe olives
  • 4 cups buttermilk baking mix
  • 1/4 cup dehydrated potato buds
  • 3 Tbsp. minced onions
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 cup grated cheese
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
Drain olives and cut into wedges. Put baking mix, potato buds, onion, garlic powder, olives, and cheese in a large bowl. Measure remaining ingredients into another bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir just until the flour is moistened. Turn into a well-greased nine-inch skillet. Flour hands and pat into a rounded shape. If desired, brush with additional melted butter. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment