Sunday, September 3, 2017

Spanish Noodles

When I found this recipe in Mom's recipe box, it seemed like something Mom likely made when we were young. After making it and tasting it, the dish seemed familiar, but I did not specifically recall when Mom made this recipe. But, I think I might add this recipe into my regular rotation. The best thing about this recipe is that everything is made in one pan on the stovetop, so even if it is a hot summer day, this recipe will not overheat the house.

I made just a few adjustments to this recipe. First, I used three times as much bacon as the recipe recommends. Mom's recipe called for two slices of bacon; I used six slices and could easily use more next time. Second, in addition to one of can of tomatoes, I used a few finely chopped fresh tomatoes from Mom's garden because she had recently given me so many. Although you could probably use any noodle, I recommend sticking with the fine egg noodles because that add a rich flavor. I also think you could easily add a seasoning or herb, such as cilantro or basil to add to the taste, but the recipe is quite delicious as is. I also ended up adding a little additional water because the noodle will soak up all the liquids as it cooks.

Spanish Noodles 
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 8 oz. fine egg noodles
  • ground black pepper, to taste
Cut the bacon into one-inch pieces. Pan fry the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Add the onion, green pepper, and ground beef; saute until beef is browned. Add undrained tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil. Gradually stir in the uncooked noodles. Cook uncovered over low heat stirring occasionally until the noodles are tender. Add pepper to taste. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I can testify that this was delicious! I plan to make this soon with the possible addition of extra bell pepper. :D thanks for brining it over!

    ReplyDelete