Saturday, August 19, 2017

Oatmeal Shakes

Although this blog is usually devoted to family recipes, I have on occasion posted re-creations of dishes that I have enjoyed, such as Drunken Cherry Cake. Recently, MDS and I discovered a local breakfast and lunch spot in our neighborhood called Tiztal Cafe. The food is delicious, but the place is really known for its oatmeal shakes. The basic shake is cinnamon, but you can also get it with various fruits.

I think this recipe is a good approximation of the oatmeal shake. I used almond milk, but any other type of milk or even water would be just fine. I love the almond milk with the cinnamon. I used a bit of plain greek yogurt to thicken the shake. Any type of yogurt could work, but the amount could be varied based on how thick you would like your shake. For one of these shakes, I added about half a banana. I preferred the shake with the banana, but MDS preferred the shake without banana. I also used my bullet mixer, so I was able to make each shake in a separate cup, but if you are using a standard blender, just multiply the ingredients as needed.

Oatmeal Shake 
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 banana
In a blender, mix the oats, milk, and cinnamon. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. When you are ready to enjoy the shake, blend for about a minute. Add and blend yogurt and banana, until you reach your desired consistency. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment