Sunday, May 15, 2016

Pumpkin Granola

As you may know, I really like food made with pumpkin. So, when I saw a version of this pumpkin granola recipe a number of years ago, I knew I had to try it. This granola is now a household standard. We often have some on hand for snacking. It keeps for weeks in the refrigerator. We most often just eat it plain, but it is also terrific on yogurt or eaten with milk in a cereal bowl.

I don't recall where I found the recipe, and my recipe card does not give any clues. I have adjusted the recipe over time and I often do not precisely measure the ingredients that I add. So sometimes, a particular batch might have more nutmeg than most batches or other variations. Usually the resulting granola is in cluster form, rather than bars, but the clusters vary quite a bit in size. If you wanted to, you could add some nuts or dried fruit to the granola about halfway through the baking process. I think hazelnuts and dried cranberries could be a good addition to this granola.

Pumpkin Granola 
  • 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamon
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the oats and puffed rice. In a medium bowl, whisk together the spices, sugar, applesauce, pumpkin, syrup and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, then carefully turn over granola with large spatula. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment