Sunday, April 10, 2016

Cocoa Cinnamon Pound Cake

While I don't specifically recall my Mom making this cake, it tastes very familiar. Both the cocoa and cinnamon flavors are subtle. I did not make this cake to share with my nieces and nephews because I was worried about them not liking cinnamon. Now that I have tasted the cake, I think the kids might like it. They will have to wait until I make it again.

This cake is easy to make, and even easier to eat.  The only problem that I had was getting the cake out of the pan. I was able to assemble the cake well enough for the picture. If I were serving it to guests, I would consider using a glaze or a frosting to cover the broken sections, but because it was just MDS and me, I pieced the cake back together and sprinkled it with powdered sugar. The recipe itself calls for 3/11 cup cocoa, but I just used my 1/4 cup and used just a bit less. Mom's recipe did not include how long the cake should be baked, so with some toothpick testing, I found that 65 minutes worked well. The recipe calls for a tube pan, but if you don't have one, you could use loaf pans and adjust the baking time.

Cocoa Cinnamon Pound Cake
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/11 cup cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream butter until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beating until smooth. A eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Sift flour with cocoa, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mix alternating in thirds with the milk and vanilla, beating smooth after each addition. Grease and flour a tube pan. Pour batter into the pan. Bake at 325 for 65 minutes or until done. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment