Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Grandma Holmes's Tomato Pudding

In looking through some of Grandma Holmes's recipes, I found a curious one. MDS did not remember the recipe and actually thought it sounded gross. But, to me, it sounded good. Tomato Pudding is a bread pudding that is baked in the oven. Like any bread pudding, it is a perfect use for bread that is about to become stale. Using Google, I learned that tomato pudding is in fact a common side dish in the south and also Northern Michigan. I suspect Grandma Holmes learned of this recipe via Northern Michigan.

Tomato Pudding makes a good side dish. I followed the recipe as is, but there could be some adjustments that could really make this dish. Next time I make this dish, I might try using some fresh garlic and oregano. MDS thought mixing in some cooked ground Italian sausage would make for a good addition. I saw some recipes that added a bit of cheese, usually just on top. Whether you follow the recipe as is or adjust it to suit your tastes, this dish is easy to make and enjoy.

Tomato Pudding 
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  •  1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 6 tablespoon butter
  • 5 slices bread, cubed
In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar and boiling water. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a casserole, melt the butter. Add in the cubed bread and toss the bread to coat with butter. Pour the tomato sauce over the bread. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Broil for the last minute if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment