Saturday, December 20, 2014

Toffee Squares

Some years, Mom included these toffee squares in her annual Christmas cookie plates. I now see why. They are super easy to make and taste delicious. After tasting these toffee squares, I remembered them from my childhood. The squares can be cut into any size. I made some medium size and some quite small. This flexibility makes these squares great for sharing with a crowd.

Mom's recipe calls for adding finely chopped nuts. I left out the nuts because I planned to test the toffee squares out on my nieces and nephews. Like many kids, they are not fond of nuts in or on baked goods. The toffee squares were a hit with the kids. Mom's recipe is for a 15x10x1 pan. I do not have a pan that size, so I used my 13x9 pan. The result was just fine. Another modification that I made was that I used a 12 ounce package of chocolate chips. This modification resulted in a thicker chocolate layer, but I think it worked out well, just with a thicker chocolate layer.

Toffee Squares 
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add egg and vanilla. Beat thoroughly. Add flour and salt; beat until well blended. Spread butter evenly in a 15x10x1 jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle on chocolate chips; return to oven for about one minute. With a spatula, spread chocolate over the surface to form a glaze. If desired, sprinkle with nuts. Cut into squares while warm. Allow to cool. In warm weather, store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment