Thursday, October 23, 2014

Spam Loaf

Yes, that title is correct. This recipe features spam, and, not the kind that clutters your inbox. I remember having spam as a kid, such as this spam loaf or spam sandwiches. Nowadays, I don't often eat spam, except for spam musubi, which is teriyaki grilled spam on rice and wrapped in seaweed. If you have never tried spam musubi, give it a try. I think it is delicious. Apparently, it is easy to find in Hawaii or from my favorite Hawaiian place, Aloha Eats, in Lincoln Park in Chicago. Or, you could give this spam loaf recipe a try.

This spam loaf is assembled from two ingredients: spam and mozzarella. And, just like Mom's meat loaf, this dish is covered in ketchup. Recently, Mom, Megan and I visited my Godparents, Jim and Eileen O'Brien. Eileen recalled how when we were kids, we would put ketchup on everything. I guess that is how Mom got us to eat things we might otherwise refuse. The ketchup does give this dish a nice flavor.

Spam Loaf 

  • One can spam
  • Block of Mozzarella cheese
  • Ketchup
Slice the spam. Slice the mozzarella cheese in a size similar to the spam slices. Alternate placing the spam slices and the cheese slices into a mini-loaf pan, until pan is filled. Top the loaf with ketchup to cover the entire loaf. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the pan. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment