Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Meat Loaf

What I remember most about Mom's meatloaf is the key role of ketchup in the recipe. Ketchup is mixed into the meat mixture and the loaf is topped with tomato sauce. I even recall more ketchup being served on the side.

Mom said that the boys used to complain about meatloaf because they would rather have the ground beef turned into burgers. But as Rich said, a slice of meatloaf between a hamburger bun is just a hamburger.

There are any number of ways that this recipe could be modified to change up the flavor. Mom's recipe calls for Accent seasoning, which is MSG. I did not have Accent seasoning, so I substituted Lawry's seasoning salt. Accent is available in the spice aisle, or you can just substitute your favorite seasoning blend. Mom's recipe includes an option of adding slices of bacon on top of the loaf before covering in tomato sauce. I don't remember bacon on Mom's meatloaf, so I did not use it in this version, but I may have to give it a try the next time I make meatloaf.


Meat Loaf
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp Accent seasoning
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
Blend all ingredients, except tomato sauce. Put into a loaf pan. (Option: cover with bacon) Pour 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment