Monday, April 1, 2024

Broccoli Orientale

I like broccoli. I most often enjoy it raw in salads or oven roasted. But I do like to mix up my meals, so I thought I would give this recipe a try. I don't know where Mom found this recipe. I assume that the use of water chestnuts is what gives the recipe its name.

When I made this recipe, I did not have pimento on hand. Pimento is a type of pepper, so another type of pepper could be used. But I had forgotten to get any peppers this week. So I used black olives instead. I think the substitution worked just fine. I also used almost a cup of water chestnuts because that was the size of the can. And I found that this was a good use of frozen broccoli that I steamed in the bag for a quick side dish.

Broccoli Orientale 

  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 chopped water chestnuts 
  • 1 pimento, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 package frozen broccoli
Cook the broccoli according to the package. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add water chestnuts, pimento, and lemon juice. Heat thoroughly. Serve sauce hot over the broccoli. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment