Monday, January 1, 2024

Eggnog

Eggnog is a Christmas and New Year's Eve classic. Mom often bought eggnog around Christmas each year. I always loved its rich creamy taste. Then, as an adult, I found that adding eggnog to coffee is an excellent treat. I had been wary of making eggnog because many recipes do not cook the eggs, so I have relied on store-bought eggnog. This year, I did some internet searching to create a recipe using cooked eggs. This recipe makes a delicious and thick eggnog that is better than store-bought eggnog.

The name eggnog likely relates to Old English origins of either a wooden cup that it had been served in or the strong alcohol used. Because I got hooked on eggnog as a kid, I never really had a taste for adding rum, whiskey, or brandy to the eggnog. But this eggnog could easily be mixed with whatever alcohol you might like. But, I do like a Tom and Jerry, an eggnog-related drink served at Miller's Pub only in December.

Eggnog 

  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs plus one egg yolk
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • grated nutmeg, to taste
Heat 1 1/2 cup milk and vanilla in saucepan; simmer over medium low heat. In a bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and cornstarch until light yellow. Gradually pour warm milk over egg mixture, whisking constantly. Then pour mixture back into pan. Heat on low and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until eggnog thickens, about 7 to 10 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup milk. Garnish with nutmeg. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment