Friday, October 8, 2021

Strawberry Squares

These Strawberry Squares are a delicious treat. I found that I inadvertently bought an extra box of strawberry jello. When I saw this recipe in Mom's recipe box, I knew that I had give it a try. The squares are a nice treat, but they smelled more of strawberry than they tasted. 

These squares are sort of a strawberry version of toffee bars. When just out of the oven, the squares are soft. But you need to cut them quickly because that harden into a nice crunchy cookie. Although the recipe calls for almond extract, I realized too late that I was out of almond extract, so I just used vanilla. 

Strawberry Squares 

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
  • 1 egg white
  • Red sugar crystals
Beat butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add sugar and gelatin gradually. Add egg yolk, extract; beat well. Stir in baking powder and enough flour to make a soft dough. Spread and pat down on a buttered 15x10 pan. Beat egg white with fork until foamy. Brush over dough. Sprinkle top with sugar crystals. Bake at 300 for one hour or until firm on top. Remove from over. Cut into squares while still warm and in the pan. Cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment