Sunday, March 7, 2021

New England Meat Pie

This meat pie is delicious but does take some time to make because there are a number of steps. If you have some time, this recipe is worth it. I am not sure the origin of this recipe. It has all the common elements of a savory pie--meat and vegetables. 

When I made this recipe, I used a 10x6 loaf pan but the pieces did not stay together. Next time I make this recipe, I might use a 9x9 pan or a classic pie pan. I think that the pieces would stay formed better. Also, when I made this recipe, I used pie dough to form the lattice on top instead of cheese. Also, Mom's recipe calls for cans of tomato sauce with onion, but I just added minced onion to regular tomato sauce.

New England Meat Pie 
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. minced onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 12-ounce package hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 3 Tbsp. oil
  • 5-6 slices American cheese, cut into 1/2 inch strips
Combine beef, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, egg, bread crumbs, and salt; shape into one-inch meatballs. In a skillet, lightly brown meatballs; drain fat. Stir in rest of tomato sauce, mixed vegetables, thyme, and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, press potatoes over bottom of 9x9 baking dish; drizzle with oil and place under broiler until lightly browned. Spoon meatball mixture over potatoes; arrange cheese in lattice pattern on top. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment