Friday, April 5, 2019

Barbecue Meatballs

I don't remember Mom making meatballs when I was a kid, but I gave this recipe that I found in her recipe box a try. These meatballs are delicious. They remind me of Mom's meatloaf recipe. And we had meatloaf often when I was a kid. I would guess that Mom would rather not spend the time forming the meatballs, so she stuck to the easier recipe.

These meatballs are not too difficult to make, but do require more attention than a basic meatloaf. They are baked in the oven, but need to have the sauce basted while they cook. You can serve them as an appetizer or a main dish. They are delicious on their own or on pasta or as a sandwich.

Barbecue Meat Balls 
  • 1 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 cup oil or butter
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
Combine meat, bread crumbs, milt, egg, salt, and pepper; mix well. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place in shallow pan with oil or butter. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until browned. Blend tomato juice and flour; add barbecue sauce and water. Drain excess fat from meat; then pour sauce over meat. Bake for 45 minutes longer, basting twice with the sauce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment