Saturday, November 4, 2017

Criner Caramel Popcorn

While I have had caramel popcorn before, I don't think that I ever had homemade caramel popcorn until I was recently at a get-together at Amanda's and Brian's house. Nowadays, parties at the Criner/Isleb house typically involve a wonderful buffet spread of food that is a free-for-all among the many kids and adults gathered. In fact, these get-togethers are much like any Buckley family gathering. Back to the popcorn, which was put out at a recent party. I could not stop eating it. Even when other terrific food was put out, I kept going back to the popcorn because homemade caramel popcorn is so much better than store-bought popcorn.

It turns out that this deliciously addictive caramel popcorn was made by Amanda's Mom, Karen Criner. So of course, I had to get the recipe to share here. The recipe came with some helpful hints. While working with the caramel, it is quite sticky, so use cooking spray or oil on your utensils. Also, do your best to remove any kernels. I tried, but missed at least two kernels, and MDS and I each bit down on one. For my own tip, I struggled to completely coat the popcorn with the caramel. I found that while baking, I removed the popcorn from the oven about every ten minutes to stir to help better coat the popcorn. Although this delicious treat does take some work, it is worth it, especially to enjoy while still warm.

Criner Caramel Popcorn 
  • 4 quarts popped popcorn
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Spray a large roasting pan (or two large edged cookie sheets) with cooking spray or oil. Add popcorn and place in preheated oven at 250 degreed while preparing caramel. Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for five minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Mix well. Pour over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly. Bake for 45 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed or oiled. Allow to cool and break apart. Store in a tightly covered container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment