Saturday, July 29, 2017

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

For MDS's Birthday (still 39!), I made this cake. It was delicious. Although the recipe call for sprinkling it with confectioner's sugar, I decided to frost it with cream cheese frosting. Why should carrot cake get the best frosting? Chocolate cake deserves the cream cheese frosting, too. But, I am sure that this cake would be delicious with any frosting or confectioner's sugar.

I am sure Mom made this cake when I was young. True to its name, it is a deep dark chocolate taste. When I made this cake, I halved the recipe and used a 9X9 square pan with a shortened baking time. The recipe below makes a 13X9 inch pan cake or a layer cake. Because the cake was so good, I wish I had made the larger size so we would have more leftover cake.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake 
  • 4 squares bakers chocolate
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • confectioner's sugar
Melt the chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add sugar and mix well. blend in the egg yolks and 1 cup of milk. Sift flour with salt; add to chocolate mixture. Mix until dry ingredients are just dampened. Beat for one minute at low speed with an electric mixer or 150 strokes by hand. Add vanilla and 1/2 cup more milk; mix until smooth. Dissolve soda in remaining 1/4 cup milk and quickly stir into batter. Pour into a paper lined 13X9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until cake springs back. Cool. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or frost. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment