Sunday, March 5, 2017

Simple Cream of Tomato Soup

When I found this recipe in Mom's recipe box, I remembered that we frequently had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches when I was young. While I recall that Mom usually used canned soup, as the recipe title indicates, this soup is very simple. And this soup can easily be customized to meet your preferred tastes. Just don't forget the grilled cheese.

When I made this soup, I adjusted Mom's recipe just a bit. I did not pass the tomato base through a sieve because I wanted some bits of tomato and onion in the final soup. For that reason, rather than using onion slices, I finely chopped the onion. I also used just a little bit less milk than the recipe calls for, but you could easily use more or less milk based on how creamy you like your soup. For this recipe, I followed the basic recipe, but next time I make this soup, I might add a seasoning such as basil or oregano and garlic.

Simple Cream of Tomato Soup 
  • One-half small onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • Dash pepper
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 cups milk
Add onions, sugar, pepper and tomatoes to a large sauce pan. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If you prefer not to have chunks, blend the tomato mixture or pass through a sieve. In another sauce pan, melt the butter, then blend in the flour. Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Slowly stir the milk mixture into the tomato mixture. Season if desired, and heat to simmering. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment