Monday, January 16, 2017

Grandma Holmes's Lemon Chess Pie

This recipe is one of the many dessert recipes in Grandma Holmes's recipe collection. Lemon Chess Pie is considered a classic Southern dessert. I suspect that Grandma Holmes encountered this dessert and recipe in one of her many road trips that she took in her van. Grandma Holmes wandered around the country on her own and occasionally met up with other single travelers that she knew through the group Loners on Wheels. Grandma Holmes lived an adventurous life.

When I made this recipe, I substituted a graham cracker crust for a standard pastry pie crust. You could us any type of crust. In fact, I might even try a chocolate cookie crust next time. Instead of fresh squeezed lemon juice, I used store-bought lemon juice. And, because I did not have lemons on hand, I skipped the grated rind, but I am sure the pie would only be improved by the addition of the rind. This pie reminds me of Grandma Holmes's Lemon Squares, which are one of MDS's favorite treats.

Lemon Chess Pie 
  • 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
  • 2 cups sugar
  • juice of 3 lemons (6 Tbsp.)
  • grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 stick butter
  • uncooked pie crust
Sift the cornmeal with the sugar. Then mix in the lemon juice and rind, the egg yolks and the butter. Mix for five minutes. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mix. Pour into an unbaked pie crust in a nine-inch pan. Bake at 325 for 45 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment