Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Lemon Ice

This Lemon Ice is a good cold treat on a hot August day. I found this recipe in Mom's recipe box. Although I don't recall her making this recipe, I do recall having these types of ice treats in the summer. And, this recipe is very similar to Italian Ice, which I do recall enjoying every summer. I especially love Mario's Italian Ice on Taylor Street, right behind my high school. Mario's closed over the winter, so every year when Mario's reopened, I knew that it was summer.

Mom's recipe calls for using ice cube trays as a mold. Then, the resulting lemon ice cubes could be used in a drink, which I am sure would be delicious. But, with my automatic ice cube maker, I don't own ice cube trays, so I poured the entire recipe into a bowl and froze it as a whole. Then, I used a spoon to scrape out the lemon ice into a small bowl for serving. Either way you choose to enjoy this recipe, I highly recommend on a 90 degree August day.

Lemon Ice 
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • Juice of 3 lemons (about 10 Tbsp.)
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 package unflavored gelatin
Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Boil 4 cups water and sugar together for five minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Add softened gelatin to the syrup and stir until dissolved. Place in ice cube trays and freeze until firm (about 3 hours). Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment