Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sage Biscuits

Biscuits are easy to make and can be a delicious addition to any meal or a snack all on their own. While you can buy biscuit dough at a store, it is so easy to make your own dough, I think you should always just make your own dough. The basic ingredients include items you probably keep around your kitchen, such as flour, baking powder and butter. Then, you can customize your biscuits with seasoning or specialized ingredients like buttermilk to get different flavors.

The addition of sage makes for a lovely savory biscuit. I have tried biscuits with rosemary, but I had not even considered using sage. When I saw this recipe in Mom's recipe box, I knew I had to try it. The resulting biscuits were delicious. And the next time I make them, I might add a little more sage for a stronger flavor. The recipe calls for powdered sage, but fresh sage would work as well.

Sage Biscuits 
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 tsp. powdered sage
  • 3/4 cup milk
Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Add milk, stirring quickly until dough forms,  and is soft but not sticky. Turn out dough into lightly floured surface. Knead about half a minute to shape into a smooth ball. Roll or pat out until 1/2 inch thick. Cut into biscuits. Bake at 450 for 12 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment