Saturday, October 10, 2015

Grandma Holmes's Pumpkin Muffins

Every Fall, we are inundated with pumpkin products. I love everything pumpkin. But, if you are looking for a different take on pumpkin, give these muffins a try. The addition of molasses make these pumpkin muffins very unique. The molasses taste is strong, but does not overpower the pumpkin flavor. When I made these muffins, I did not include nuts, but nuts, raisins or dried cranberries could be a nice addition to these muffins.

MDS did not specifically remember the recipe, but upon tasting the muffins, he remembered the taste. His Grandma liked using molasses in baking. When I was a kid, I did not particularly like molasses, but now that I am an adult, I love baked goods made with molasses. Perhaps molasses is more of a grown-up flavor. The recipe card does not contain a lot of detail, but does indicate that the recipe is a Shaker recipe. Based on my Google search, the recipe originated in Shaker Village in Kentucky. I am not sure how the recipe made it into Grandma Holmes's recipe collection, but I am glad to have found it and share it here.

Grandma Holmes's Pumpkin Muffins 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup pecans
In a mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar, molasses, butter, egg and pumpkin. Blend in the baking soda, salt and flour. Mix in the nuts. Preheat the oven to 375. Grease 12 muffin cups. Fill each muffin cup about halfway with the muffin dough. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment