Thursday, June 19, 2014

Grandma Holmes's Apple Cake

This recipe comes from one of Grandma Holmes's recipe cards. Grandma Holmes loved sweets, so it is not surprising that she had many recipes for cakes and such.

This apple cake is delicious and simple. When I mixed the cake, there seemed to be more apples than batter. I thought it might be too many apples, but I was wrong, it was just the right amount: There is apple in every bite.

I made this recipe in a 9x13 pan, but it could easily be made in a different pan or in muffin tins. Despite Grandma Holmes's recipe, I did grease the pan. The recipe calls for raisins and nuts, but I left them out. I had this cake unfrosted, but it would be delicious frosted with buttercream or other frosting. But, I did enjoy this cake warmed slightly with a scoop of ice cream.

Grandma Holmes's Apple Cake 
  • 4 cups chopped apple
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
  • 1 cup raisins (optional)
Blend the eggs, sugar, oil, flour, soda, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Fold in the apples, nuts and raisins. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until done. Allow to cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment