Saturday, December 21, 2013

Turtle Cookies

When I was young, every Christmas, Mom made these turtle cookies. I remember being put to work arranging the pecans to resemble the head and legs of a turtle before the cookie would be pushed onto the nuts. The cookies are intended to look like turtle candies. But they are definitely cookies.

While I can sometimes be picky about nuts in cookies and cakes, I always enjoy eating these Turtles. When I made this batch, I made a few cookies without nuts for my niece and nephew with nut allergies. The non-nut version were delicious, too. This recipe calls for maple flavoring, which I did not have on hand, so I substituted in some maple syrup and slightly reduced the sugar. I think the maple flavor in these cookies make them unique.

Turtle Cookies 
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp. maple flavoring
  • Pecan halves
  • 2 squares of baking chocolate
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 to 2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, blend together the butter and brown sugar. Add in one egg and one egg yolk (reserve the egg white). Blend in vanilla and maple seasoning.

On a greased baking sheet, arrange five split pecan halves, rounded side up, to resemble the head and legs of a turtle. Mold the dough into balls using rounded teaspoons of dough. Dip the bottom of the dough ball into the egg white and press into the arranged nuts. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool completely.

To make the frosting, combine the chocolate, milk and butter in a small sauce pan. Heat over low until chocolate melts and is blended smooth. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar until frosting reaches proper consistency. Beat until smooth and glossy. Frost each cookie. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment