Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rum Cake

Mom and Grandma both made this rum cake, but it had been many years since I tasted it, and I had never made it before. I don't know why I waited so long to try out this cake. It is delicious.

As the name indicates, rum is a key ingredient. Mom says that she used to use imitation rum extract. I used the real thing. Either way, the cake tastes great. The recipe uses instant pudding, which helps make the cake so moist. The other ingredients are basic. As for the tube pan, I actually used a bundt pan. Either type of pan could work.

I made this cake for MDS in advance of his birthday. I left out the pecans because, although MDS likes nuts, he prefers no nuts in baked goods. Rum cake makes a great birthday cake. MDS's birthday is two days before Grandma's birthday. If Grandma were still with us, I am sure she would love to have a slice of this cake.

Rum Cake

  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 package instant vanilla pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup rum
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
For the Glaze:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 ounce rum
Mix together the cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, water, and rum. Arrange the pecans on the bottom of a greased tube pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake at 325 for one hour. Just before the cake is done, mix together the ingredients for the glaze in a sauce pan and boil for one minute. Remove the cake from the oven and pierce the top thoroughly with a toothpick. Immediately pour the glaze all over the top of the cake. Cool completely before removing the cake from the pan. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment