Sunday, June 9, 2013

Crab Rangoon Dip

In looking through Mom's recipes, I found one for Crab Rangoon. Now, I don't actually remember Mom making Crab Rangoon, but my very own Crab Rangoon Dip has become a popular appetizer at our family Easter get-togethers. Crab Rangoon is a deep fried appetizer filled with cream cheese and crab. I have no interest in actually deep frying anything, so I just make the filling and serve it as a dip with crackers and pretzels. Mom's Crab Rangoon recipe is just about the same as mine, but does call for using wontons and deep frying these tasty treats. I take the easy way out and make a dip.

MDS claims not to like cheese, but he loves Crab Rangoon Dip. When I tell him that the main ingredient is cheese, he just claims that the main ingredients are crab and "rangoon." What is "rangoon"? I haven't the slightest idea. I doubt that this recipe has any connection to Rangoon, the former capital of Burma, because it seems to be an American creation. As to the ingredients, I typically do not closely measure the ingredients, so the amounts below are approximate.

Crab Rangoon Dip


  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 4 oz. crab, finely chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. celery salt
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Soften the cream cheese so that it can be easily mixed (about 30 seconds in the microwave). Mix in the remaining ingredients. Serve with crackers, pretzels or vegetables. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment