Saturday, May 28, 2011

Potato Salad

Mom's Potato Salad is a family classic that was often served with Sunday dinner and was present at just about every family party. I do not think this recipe was ever written down -- I learned it by helping Mom. I will do my best to approximate the measurements for the ingredients, but it best to have a taste-tester, like MDS, on hand to check to make sure it is just right.

The ingredients are simple: potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, mayo, dried minced onion, salt, and pepper.  What makes this potato salad unique is the texture of the end result. This recipe could be described as enhanced mashed potatoes. The secret method involves using your hands to get the texture right. My sister-in-law Laura figured out that this method, unorthodox to be sure, is what makes this potato salad so good.

You can easily adjust the quantity up or down. I figure for every large potato, use one hard-boiled egg, and one-quarter cup mayo. I personally like extra dried minced onion, but not everyone may appreciate the onion. Mom adds some salt, but I usually don't -- I have gotten in the habit of excluding salt from recipes and I rarely miss it. Another change that I have made is to leave most or all of the skin on the potato. Mom likes potato skins, but when she was feeding a bunch of picky kids when we were young, it must have been easier to remove the skin.


Potato Salad
4 large potatoes
4 hard-boiled eggs
1 cup mayo
1-2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. pepper
salt to taste (optional)

Scrub potatoes well. Put in large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and then cook for 20 minutes or so, until tender. Meanwhile hard boil and peel the eggs. Once the potatoes are done, drain and rinse with cool water. Cut the potatoes into small cubes and place into large bowl. Then using you hands, further mash up the potatoes. About half the potatoes should be mashed fairly well and about half should still be pieces. Then chop up the eggs into fine pieces. Next, add the mayo, dried minced onion, pepper (and salt, if you like). Mix well. Then have your favorite taste-tester check the result. Adjust as needed and enjoy. The quantity in the recipe will serve 6-8 people, but in my household, it's all eaten by the taste-tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment