Friday, May 3, 2024

Fruit Cocktail Dessert

This dessert is easy to make and quite delicious. When I was a kid, I loved fruit cocktail, especially the one or two cherries that you might be lucky to find. This cake uses a can of fruit cocktail, so I guess it is a variation on a fruitcake. But it is not like a stereotypical fruitcake that is hard and stiff. This cake is soft and chewy with a sweet fruit flavor.

When I made this cake, I did not have a 10x7 pan as called for in the recipe, so I used a 9x9 pan. I just had to adjust the cooking time to about 35 minutes instead of 40 minutes. The recipe says to serve the cake topped with whipped cream. Next time, I will have maraschino cherries to add one to the top of each piece.

Fruit Cocktail Dessert 

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 medium size can fruit cocktail, drained
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together. Then mix together the dry ingredients with the egg and fruit cocktail. Pour batter into a greased 10x7 pan. Mix together the brown sugar and chopped pecans. Spread over the top of the batter. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve the cake topped with whipped cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment