Sunday, February 10, 2013

Croutons

When Mom had old bread, she sometimes made homemade croutons. After making these croutons, I started to wonder why I ever bought croutons from the store. Homemade croutons are so much better than any store-bought croutons. These croutons don't take too long to make, but they do take more time than just opening a bag of store-bought croutons. So it may not be easy to make for every salad.

The recipe below is from Mom's recipe box, but it is easy to modify. I used olive oil, but another type of cooking oil could be used. I also did not have fresh garlic on hand, so I used a spoonful of minced garlic. Rather than rub the garlic on the bread, I mixed it in with the butter and oil. Alternatively, powdered garlic could be used. I also used some oregano in the second half of the croutons. Other herbs or spices could easily be added to the oil. Also, any type of bread--French, wheat, or any other--could be used. Making croutons is a great way to use stale bread, but I suppose you could use fresh bread, too.

These croutons are especially good while still hot, and many of the croutons I made for this post did not make it to the salad. The leftover croutons stored well in the refrigerator for a day. They may do fine for a few days, but I'll never know because they will be eaten well before we can test the limits.

Croutons 

  • 8 slices bread, cut to 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
Spray a griddle or frying pan with cooking spray. Rub the garlic on the bread. In a bowl, combine the butter and oil. Add other spices or herbs, if desired. Spread both sides of the bread with the butter and oil mixture. Toast in the griddle over medium heat for about three minutes per side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment