Monday, February 25, 2013

Biscuit-Topped Ground Beef Casserole

Note: this post has been updated.

This casserole is one of Mom's classics. In fact, Chris even remembered this casserole, and he likes it and once requested it as his birthday dinner. After I originally posted this recipe, Chris emailed me to correct my recollection that he did not like it. MDS, who is not usually a fan of such casseroles, actually liked this one. So, if Chris and MDS, who are both picky eaters, like this casserole, chances are anyone will. Like so many of Mom's casseroles, this one is easy to make on a weeknight. The ingredients are easy and may likely be ones that you keep around the house.

When I was young, I loved this casserole primarily for the biscuits. Mom always used store-bought biscuits, which I thought were so good at the time. Now, I think this casserole would be better with homemade biscuits. So, maybe the next time I make this casserole, I will make a batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits instead of store-bought biscuits. But this casserole tasted just like I remember it, especially the store-bought canned biscuits.

Biscuit-Topped Ground Beef Casserole

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 can (8 oz.) biscuit
Preheat the oven to 350. In a skillet, brown the ground beef. Add the onion and cook for a few more minute. Reduce the heat and blend in the cream cheese, mushroom soup, milk, and ketchup. Once blended, pour into a 2-quart or 9X9 casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mixture becomes bubbly. Then, top the casserole with the biscuits and bake about 15 minutes more, or until biscuits are golden. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment